My Ex-Spouse Refuses to Work – Is There Anything I Can Do?

Broke Adjusting to divorced life can be difficult, especially when struggling to make ends meet.  A child support order won’t pay the bills if the other spouse is not paying accordingly.  Some spouses who are ordered to pay child support or spousal support immediately commence the underworked and underpaid strategy.  Thankfully, California provides a mechanism for separating the vocationally disenfranchised from the lazy. If you believe your ex-spouse is voluntarily unemployed or underemployed and refuses to submit to a vocational examination, you can petition the family court to permit the examination.  The process is initiated by filing a petition and showing good cause to support your request. If the results of the examination show your ex has the capacity to generate earnings, the judge can impute income for purposes of calculating child support or spousal support.   This means the judge can determine a fictional amount of income the ex should reasonably be expected to generate. An experienced family law attorney knows the tactics used by parents who refuse to pay child support, including changing jobs frequently, moving from state to state, working for cash and childish defiance of the court order. At the Law Offices of Judy L. Burger, we will persistently pursue the best outcome possible for you in collecting back child support. Judy L. Burger is known for her aggressive representation of clients in high conflict cases in and around the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento areas. If you are a spouse facing divorce, call us today to learn more about how we can help. Call (415)293-8314 in the San Francisco Bay area or (916)631-1935 in the Sacramento area, or contact us online via our confidential inquiry form.