out of state

Can You Move Out of State With Your Kids After a Divorce in California?

Divorce is a difficult process, and things can become even more complicated when children are involved. One of the biggest challenges can be deciding where the children will live and how custody and visitation will be structured. For some divorced parents, the idea of moving out of state with their kids may be appealing. They may want to be closer to family, start a new job, or begin a new chapter in their life. However, before taking any steps, it is important to understand the legal considerations and potential roadblocks that could arise. This blog post will explore what you need to know about moving out of state with your children after a divorce in California.


What to Consider Before Moving Out-of-State with Your Kids After Divorce


First and foremost, it is essential to consider the best interests of your children. Will moving out of state mean they will be farther away from the other parent? Will it disrupt their school or extracurricular activities? Additionally, if you have a custody and visitation agreement in place, you will need to review it to see if there are any restrictions on moving. It would help if you also considered the cost of living in the new state, job opportunities, and the availability of support systems. It is a big decision that requires careful thought and consideration.


Potential Roadblocks that Could Prevent You from Moving Out of State with Your Children


Even if you believe that moving out of state is in your children’s best interests, several potential roadblocks could arise. For example, the other parent may object to the move and file a motion with the court to prevent it. Additionally, there may be a provision in your custody and visitation agreement that prohibits you from moving out of state without the other parent’s consent. Finally, if you are in the process of getting a divorce, the court may require you to remain in California until the divorce is finalized.


What Happens if the Other Parent Objects to You Moving Out of State?


If the other parent objects to your proposed move, you will need to go through a legal process to get permission from the court. This may involve attending a hearing and presenting evidence as to why the move is in the children’s best interests. The court will consider factors such as the reasons for moving, the impact on the children, and the availability of visitation opportunities for the other parent. You will need to work with an experienced California family lawyer who can guide you through this process.


The Process of Getting Permission From the Court to Move Out-of-State with Your Kids


If you are seeking to move out of state with your children, you must file a request for a move-away order with the court. This request should include information about the proposed move, the reasons for it, and how it will benefit the children. You may also need to include a parenting plan that outlines how the other parent can maintain a relationship with the children. Once filed, the other parent will have an opportunity to object to the request, and the court can schedule a hearing. 


What You Need to Do Once You Have Gained Permission to Move Out-of-State


If the court grants your request and gives you permission to move out of state, you will need to update your custody and visitation agreement accordingly. This may involve negotiating a new agreement with the other parent and submitting it to the court for approval. Additionally, it would help if you considered practical matters such as finding a new home, registering the children for school, and establishing new support systems.


If you are considering moving out of state with your children after a divorce, it is essential to work with a skilled and experienced California family lawyer who can guide you through the legal process. At the Law Offices of Judy L. Burger, we are committed to helping families find solutions that work for everyone involved. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and learn more about how we can help.