What’s In a Name? And Whose Will it Be?

1040 Form

If you decide to change your name when you get married, you will need to submit a series of forms notifying several different institutions and government bodies of your name change. The first one to tackle should be the Social Security Administration for tax purposes and retirement benefits. Notifying the Social Security Administration of your name change serves dual purposes. Within 10 days of notifying the Social Security Administration, they will automatically notify the IRS of your new name. Failure to alert Social Security could likely end up causing the IRS to reject your tax return, since your new name on your tax forms will not match Social Security records. The next agency to notify is your state’s DMV office to obtain a new driver’s license. While you’re there, ask for a form to get your vehicle’s registration changed to reflect your new name. Once you have a new driver’s license, you will need to alert your employer of your new name so that your next paycheck will have the correct name on it.  Depending on where you bank, it might be a little difficult to cash a check with someone else’s name on it. Finally, you should alert your creditors so that your creditor accounts can be transitioned to reflect your new name.  Otherwise, your good credit history with your old name could disappear. At the Law Offices of Judy L. Burger, we will aggressively pursue the best outcome possible for you in your divorce or custody proceedings.  Judy L. Burger is known for her tenacious representation of clients in high conflict cases in and around the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento areas.  If you are a parent facing a divorce or custody dispute, call us today to learn more about how we can help.  Call (415)293-8314 in the San Francisco Bay area or (916)631-1935 in the Sacramento area, or contact us online via our confidential inquiry form