I Don’t Want My Ex to Move Away with My Child

Home SoldIn today’s highly mobile job market, employees are often faced with either moving or losing a job altogether.  This creates an especially difficult situation after a divorce.  Depending on the distance involved, one parent may no longer be able to exercise frequent visitation. Generally speaking, a parent with sole physical custody of a child can move away unless the other parent can prove in court that the move would cause irreparable harm to the child.  On the other hand, if parents share joint physical custody then the parent who wants to move may be required to prove the move will serve the child’s best interest. The laws that regulate these situations are complicated and like most laws, there are exceptions.  The first thing you should do if you find yourself on either side of this dilemma is contact a qualified family law attorney.  Your attorney can explain the current law and help you decide which steps to take next. If you are worried that your ex-spouse may move away with your child, or if you are the one who needs to move to accept a job or start a new life, contact the Law Offices of Judy L. Burger today. Judy L. Burger is known for her tenacious representation of clients in high conflict cases in and around the San Francisco Bay and Sacramento areas. Call us today to learn more about how we can help.  Call (415)293-8314 in the San Francisco Bay area or (916)631-1935 in the Sacramento area, or contact us online via our confidential inquiry form.